[Standards] XEP-0060: PubSub questions

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Wed Mar 19 18:38:21 UTC 2014

Hi,

> check here: http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0248.html

So basically a PubSub implementation can neglect the associate and disassociate element.

> this is the application protocol specific error. it should be used in conclusion with "not-authorized" error from the RFC. Check here: http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#subscriber-subscribe-error-presence

I know what it is, but the question is: Why it is needed in addition to the 6120 error? It seems to have the same semantic.

>> 4. "max-nodes-exceeded" error is defined in XML Schema but not described anywhere. It is still used or is it deprecated?
>
> Probably, it needs to be clarified but I believe that the meaning of it is obvious, is not it?

Yes, but on the other hand it might have been removed from the spec. Maybe it was only part of an old version, but it was forgotten to remove it from the schema.

The XMPP XML Schemas are often not accurat.

>> 5. The 'node' attribute is missing in XML Schema for the "http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub" namespace in the "configure" element.
>
> I believe that it is not needed there. If you are considering the #215 example, I believe that namespace there have to be #owner…

Yes, I was considering example #215. You might be right, that it should be #owner namespace. I am not sure.

Some owner related use cases, like creating nodes, aren't in the #owner namespace either (which also made me wonder).

> Thank you for your attention of the problem. Unfortunately, XEP-0060 has a lot of problems and I hope that your letter will attract attention to it.

I wanted to help and point to errors in the spec. Hopefully the authors or some editors will fix the bugs.

I also reported other bugs in old specs (like XEP-0013, XEP-0048), but people seem to be more busy with some new, experimental XEP-3xx specs.

Kind regards,
Christian