[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Internet of Things - Discovery

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Thu Mar 27 14:31:36 UTC 2014

Am 13.03.2014 17:26, schrieb XMPP Extensions Editor:

> Title: Internet of Things - Discovery
>
> Abstract: This specification describes an architecture based on the XMPP protocol whereby Things can be installed and safely discovered by their owners and connected into networks of Things.

> The XMPP Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this proposal as an official XEP.

some comments after reviewing it:

section 3.3.1 describes how to find an xmpp servers. The methods
described there aren't limited to iot (at least the dhcp one), so it
might be a good idea to split them off. Not sure how useful that is however.

section 3.4:
I don't think IBR should be recommended anymore.

section 3.5:
I would recommend moving the discovery to standard disco#items and to
use components (xep-0114) -- those are not much harder to write than
standard clients and have many advantages in terms of managability.
Having hardcoded accounts like 'discovery' is a no-go imo, even with the
security considerations.
Affects all examples, but that might be a simple search-replace.

section 3.11:
the comment from 3.5 applies here as well.

example 36 closes update instead of search.