[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Internet of Things - Discovery

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 09:51:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Philipp Hancke
<fippo at goodadvice.pages.de> wrote:
> Am 13.03.2014 17:26, schrieb XMPP Extensions Editor:
>
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: Internet of Things - Discovery
>>
>> Abstract: This specification describes an architecture based on the XMPP
>> protocol whereby Things can be installed and safely discovered by their
>> owners and connected into networks of Things.

>> The XMPP Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
>> proposal as an official XEP.
>>

> some comments after reviewing it:
>
> section 3.3.1 describes how to find an xmpp servers. The methods described
> there aren't limited to iot (at least the dhcp one), so it might be a good
> idea to split them off. Not sure how useful that is however.

I think it's potentially useful outside IoT.

> section 3.4:
> I don't think IBR should be recommended anymore.
>
> section 3.5:
> I would recommend moving the discovery to standard disco#items and to use
> components (xep-0114) -- those are not much harder to write than standard
> clients and have many advantages in terms of managability.
> Having hardcoded accounts like 'discovery' is a no-go imo, even with the
> security considerations.
> Affects all examples, but that might be a simple search-replace.

I agree with Fippo that using hard-coded account/nicks isn't right.
This seems to be standard disco all the way - it then doesn't matter
what form the JID takes, be it user-style or domain-style.

3.14 seems, at first glance, like it would be a candidate for 55 with
extended forms rather than inventing new protocol. Thoughts?

/K