[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Internet of Things - Discovery

Peter Waher Peter.Waher at clayster.com
Mon Mar 31 22:15:51 UTC 2014

Hello Philipp

Thanks a lot for the input, and taking the time to read the proposal. I'll try to address your concerns one at a time:

> section 3.3.1 describes how to find an xmpp servers. The methods described there aren't limited to iot (at least the dhcp one), so it might be a good idea to split them off. Not sure how useful that is however.

Ok. Can we break this out at a later stage? I agree it makes sense to have §3.3 in a separate XEP. But can we wait with this until Experimental phase, when it is more complete and we have experimented with it a bit?

> section 3.4:
> I don't think IBR should be recommended anymore.

IoT requires automatic account creation. However, I agree it must also be secure, from the point of view of the server administrator, especially if servers are publically available. I will post a separate XEP soon, that provides a secure in-band registration mechanism that can be used by things.

> section 3.5:
> I would recommend moving the discovery to standard disco#items and to use components (xep-0114) -- those are not much harder to write than standard clients and have many advantages in terms of managability.

Note sure here how this relates to 3.5. Was it a particular step you referred to?

> Having hardcoded accounts like 'discovery' is a no-go imo, even with the security considerations.

Ok. Have removed the hardcoded accounts.

> Affects all examples, but that might be a simple search-replace.
Not really. The examples, are only examples. Now, with the hardcoded step discovery at domain, is just a JID, like any other.

> section 3.11:
> the comment from 3.5 applies here as well.

Hardcoded accounts have been removed.

> example 36 closes update instead of search.

Updated.

Best regards,
Peter Waher