[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Privileged Components

Steven Lloyd Watkin lloyd at evilprofessor.co.uk
Thu May 15 08:44:58 UTC 2014

> The bit I was expecting to see, and didn't, was a protocol for trapping
> and/or intercepting specific namespaces. I think a small amount of
> expansion of Section 4.2 should do the trick, something like:
>
> <iq to='user at example.com' from='user at example.com/resource' type='set'
> id='789'>
>   <privilege>
>     <handle stanzas='*' namespace='...'/>
>   </privilege>
> </iq>
>
> This expanded Section 4.2 really needs to be a XEP in itself.

I'd see this as a separate XEP myself since we're talking about two
essentially different use cases (although I'd assume they'd often be used
in parallel).

I've read this again and beyond agreeing with many of the other comments,
I'm thinking why does this have to be limited to components? Surely an
special/admin user to request to act on behalf of another user for some
actions?