[Standards] Some questions on MUC / XEP-0045

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Fri May 16 05:43:07 UTC 2014

> 2. Is the <actor/> actually needed in the muc#admin namespace? There are no examples, but it's in the XML schema.
>

> Yes, see http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#example-90

Example 90 is in the #user namespace.

> 3. Can a client request multiple affiliations and get all affiliated users? Like:
>
> <query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#admin">
> <item affiliation="member"/>
> <item affiliation="owner"/>
> <item affiliation="admin"/>
> </query>
>
> Which would return all members.
>

> It's not against the schema, of course, but I think that's there for multiple modifications - something I actually think is a bad idea. I don't see any support for it in the text, though.

Actually I think, this would be fine and it also feels natural to do. Modifying owner/admin/member list is all the same and one could modify affiliations of all users in one run.
If a client sends an updated affiliations list to the server, the server should not care about the users' previous affiliations anyway. So it doesn't know/care if the client wanted to update (previous) owners, admins oder members only.

-- Christian