[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0325 (Internet of Things - Control)

Teemu Väisänen uolevi at gmail.com
Fri May 23 13:35:05 UTC 2014

Hi Peter.

First the answer: it would not be sufficient, I see more use cases to be
included.

I am not sure which approach is better, to put everything to one pubsub IoT
XEP or put pubsub related information to other IoT XEPs.. Do other have
opinions?

I would like to have mechanisms / best practices at least to:

1. Discover/configure/manage which pubsub nodes Things should try to
subscribe to. Maybe discovery part could relate to XEP-0347?
2. Identify/name which pubsub nodes are used for Things' configuration,
controlling, publishing sensor data, or for other purposes.
3. Create/configure/manage used pubsub nodes so that only authorized Things
can subscribe to them.
4. Transmit XEP-0325 commands, configuration information, firmware updates,
etc. to Things using pubsub.
5. Transmit XEP-0323 sensor data efficiently via pubsub.
6. Aggregate data from Things via pubsub.

I am sure there are other use cases also I am not aware of right now.

Should we start another (IoT pubsub) thread because this is not related
(only) to XEP-0325?

-Teemu