[Standards] IOT-Events

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 14:29:47 UTC 2014

[Sending a few mails to try to rekindle this discussion]

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Hund, Johannes
<johannes.hund at siemens.com> wrote:
> My $0.02:

>> completely

>> > I like this general approach!
>>
>> Excellent.
>
> I fully agree that the best way IMHO  is generalizing XEP-0060 and keeping as close as possible to the regular semantics

Great.

>> The way I read IOT-Events, it was a single subscription, but I'm hoping
>> Peter or other IOT folks can weight in here much more usefully than I
>> can. Fortunately we have the mechanisms in xep60 to cope with either.
>
> Maybe I am misundertanding it, but I think single-subscriptions would restrict some use cases.

Could well be, yes. 60 will support either model, though, I think (at
least - I don't think it misses anything), we would just need to
decide which to go with (assuming we want to tightly define the xep60
subset in use for IoT, so as to minimise complexity for small
devices)..

> An example use case is if you have different subscriptions with different timely resolutions, maximum ages etc.
> This can happen when you have an entity that has several applications running which do require different event notifications.
>
> I would not restrict it to single-subscription given it does not cause an unreasonable overhead.

Sounds reasonable, thanks.

/K