[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: namespace delegation

Kurt Zeilenga kurt.zeilenga at isode.com
Tue Nov 18 20:20:57 UTC 2014

Another comment...

RFC 6120 requires XMPP servers to provide "in-order processing" as described in 10.1.   Delegating the stanza to another does not vacate this requirements and have this delegation be transparent to the originators of the forwarded stanzas.  And the desired transparency means the forwarding entity basically has to block processing of any stream of stanzas its processing for the component to answer.  And this, I think, makes the this extension significant less desirable.

I think any spec providing for such delegation needs to provide some discussion of how the in-order processing requirements of RFC 6120 are fulfilled .   At a minimum, text which calls attention to the in-order processing requirements and clearly states the delegating server MUST still abide them ought to be incorporated into the spec.

-- Kurt

PS: I would love to lift the "in-order processing" requirement generally, but it's way too late to do that, me thinks.