[Standards] multiple <forwarded/> elements in a stanza (XEP 297)

Kurt Zeilenga kurt.zeilenga at isode.com
Mon Nov 24 22:07:37 UTC 2014

So I have been thinking about this… where a user wants to forward a conversation consisting of multiple stanzas, that it's probably not wise to send them all in one stanza (even though XEP 297 doesn't explicitly preclude this).  I'm thinking XEP 297 should minimally contain a sentence:  "Each stanza to be forwarded SHOULD be forwarded individually." (Personally, I'd prefer a MUST here but a SHOULD is sufficient.  Multiple forwarded stanzas in a single stanza is a PITA to deal with... in my app I'm going to reject such forwards.)

One could devise some sort of extension to glue multiple related stanzas, each forwarded individually, if so desired.
I don't have a specific suggestion on how to do that.

Another comment: It might also be worthwhile for XEP 297 to discuss forwarding of forwarded stanzas as well as forwarding of stanza which contains a forwarded stanza.   (In my application, I can deal with nested forwards without too much problem.)

-- Kurt