[Standards] forwarding stanzas when to=/from= values are absent

Graham King graham at gkgk.org
Tue Nov 25 00:40:28 UTC 2014

Is a message without to/from permitted, or possible? I think the rules
here http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#stanzas-attributes would prevent it:

To: "A stanza with a specific intended recipient (e.g., a conversation
partner, a remote service, the server itself, even another resource
associated with the user's bare JID) MUST possess a 'to' attribute whose
value is an XMPP address."

From: "When a server receives an XML stanza from a connected client, the
server MUST add a 'from' attribute to the stanza"

Best regards,
Graham