[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: namespace delegation

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Thu Nov 27 09:08:08 UTC 2014

Hi Kurt,

Indeed the in-ordeing could be an issue in some particular cases, but
should not in the majority of cases.

We have different options, has mentionned by Dave:

	- (1) just mention it in implemention note, the server could decide to
ignore or wait for the answer for a list of namespaces it manage, that's
not ideal but easy.

	- (2) add an attribute while requesting delegation "e.g.
blocking='true'", that would give something like:

<iq from='managing.capulet.lit' type='get' id='delegation1'>
     <query xmlns='urn:xmpp:delegation:0' type='request' delegation='admin'>
         <delegate namespace='urn:xmpp:blocking' blocking='true'/>
     </query>
</iq>

with some specifications about timeout etc. That's would complicate a
bit the specification, but it's doable. In admin mode it's actually
quite easy, but in client mode it's more tricky.

	- (3) forbid that case, just say that blocking XEPs are not allowed
with delegation, and in-ordering can't be preserved.

I think nobody wants a managing entity to block all the traffic.
In my opinion, (1) (a simple mention in implementation notes) is OK for
now, and we'll see if (2) or (3) are necessary after the first
implementations...

Cheers
Goffi