[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0322 (Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Format)

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Tue Oct 14 09:29:35 UTC 2014

On 08.10.2014 18:33, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on
> XEP-0322 (Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Format).
>
> Abstract: This specification describes how EXI compression can be
> used in XMPP networks.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business
> on 2014-10-21.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and
> send your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:

This is more are generic comment on how to deal with this then a EXI
specific one:

XEP-322 § 2.2.2 "…it sends a setup stanza…" but according to RFC 6120
§ 8 "Three kinds of XML stanza are defined …: <message/>, <presence/>,
and <iq/>."

So a setup element is not a stanza. I suggest having "stanza" replaced
by "stream element". There are maybe other wrong uses of "stanza" in
this XEP (and others).

I think what's missing is a term for XML elements that are not stanzas
but directly embedded into <stream/>. And a term for everything that
is directly embedded into <stream/>.

Smack currently refers to those as 'StreamElement' and
'PlainStreamElement', which forms the following hierarchy:

            Stream Element
              /       \
       Stanza       Plain Stream Element
 ('Packet' in Smack)

This hierarchy has proven to be useful in Smack, e.g. to differentiate
between stream elements that should handled by XEP-198 Stream Management.

But maybe I'm wrong, and the intention was to allow other stanza types
besides presence, message an iq. I hope that this isn't the case.

Florian