[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0322 (Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Format)

Edwin Mons jsf at edwinm.ik.nu
Tue Oct 14 09:36:49 UTC 2014

On 14/10/14 11:29, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> On 08.10.2014 18:33, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> > This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on
> > XEP-0322 (Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Format).
>
> > Abstract: This specification describes how EXI compression can be
> > used in XMPP networks.

> > This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business
> > on 2014-10-21.
>
> > Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and
> > send your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> > 5. Is the specification accurate and clearly written?
>
> This is more are generic comment on how to deal with this then a EXI
> specific one:
>
> XEP-322 § 2.2.2 "…it sends a setup stanza…" but according to RFC 6120
> § 8 "Three kinds of XML stanza are defined …: <message/>, <presence/>,
> and <iq/>."
>
> So a setup element is not a stanza. I suggest having "stanza" replaced
> by "stream element". There are maybe other wrong uses of "stanza" in
> this XEP (and others).

Related, I think it will be worthwhile to go through the XEP and fix a
few sentences where needed.  E.g. §2.4 has this line in it: " In
addition, the network should allow clients and servers to use not
well-known port because this commeunication involves alternative TCP
port," which took me more than one pass to scan and parse.

Edwin