[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0322 (Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Format)

Hund, Johannes johannes.hund at siemens.com
Tue Oct 21 11:24:34 UTC 2014

A short "official" feedback, Daniel also will be contributing more details and we have started direct discussions with the authors.

> Abstract: This specification describes how EXI compression can be used
> in XMPP networks.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2014-10-21.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send
> your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack
> or to clarify an existing protocol?

To my opinion yes. The most critizied point on XMPP is always that used string-based XML representation is inefficient. EXI offers an efficient binary representation of the information while still enabling a 1:1 translation between textual XML and EXI. Apart from reducing the wire load, it also is far more efficient to serialize&parse (due to binary structuring and native types and instead of string representations)
Thus, it offers protocol enhancements for every application where performance & bandwidth is an issue - and that is not just IoT.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction
> and requirements?

Yes.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not,
> why not?

We are aware of several efforts to implement the XEP and we are currently in discussions how to join them.

None right now.

We support the comments on the mailing list.

Best Regards,
Johannes