[Standards] Advancing XEP-0280 Carbons

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Apr 2 08:08:04 UTC 2015

On 1 April 2015 at 18:33, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 April 2015 at 17:37, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Matthew Miller and Joe Hildebrand's Carbons XEP has been unchanged for 18
>> months, and represents a useful and well-deployed protocol, implemented in
>> most (if not all) of the mainstream servers.
>>
>> Mobile and Desktop clients alike appear to implement this widely.
>>
>> I appreciate that the last Summit raised suggestions that it needed to do
>> more, but it is not clear to me that the "more" cannot be phrased as a new
>> XEP, and moreover that breaking compatibility given the deployment status
>> is warranted.
>>
>> It is also not clear to me what, exactly, the "more" consists of. I have
>> heard:
>>
>>  - Reflection of messages to the source.
>>

> I think this only really makes sense in XEP-0280.

<feature var='urn:xmpp:carbons:2'/>
<feature var='urn:xmpp:carbons:advanced:0'/>

<iq type='set'>
  <enable xmlns='urn:xmpp:carbons:2'
adv:xmlns='urn:xmpp:carbons:advanced:0'>
    <adv:reflection/>

>>  - Addition of MAM identifiers.
>>

> This can (and should) be a separate XEP.

<adv:archive-id/>

>  - Other types beyond 'chat'.
>>

> Not sure about this.

<adv:msgtype type='groupchat'/>
<adv:msgtype type='normal'/>
<adv:msgtype type='chat'/>
</enable>
</iq>

> There is one more item, switching from <private/> to XEP-0334 Message
> Processing Hints.

Does anyone use the private element? I'm wondering how practical it is to
deprecate it.