[Standards] Advancing XEP-0280 Carbons

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Thu Apr 2 10:07:57 UTC 2015

On 2 Apr 2015, at 10:16, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>         - Other types beyond 'chat'.
>>
>> Seems to be something we want to have. And I would tend to put this into
>> the carbons XEP too.
>
> I'm undecided about this. I think we could get away with just saying
> that normal+chat should be copied.

What was agreed at the summit (I’m hoping the minutes for that present themselves soon!) was that carbons would be tied in to MAM. So that if your server supports MAM, you’d get Carbons for whatever was going to be stored in the archive - this could be based on the payloads of the message, and might or might not include type=groupchat, depending on whether those go into MAM. So it’s not quite as simple (if we still want to do what was discussed at the Summit) as just saying ‘type=chat and type=normal’.

/K