[Standards] Advancing XEP-0280 Carbons

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 01:07:41 UTC 2015

Hi Matthieu,

On 2 April 2015 at 19:52, Matthieu Rakotojaona
<matthieu.rakotojaona at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I was thinking: what if MAM allowed some kind of long polling, the
> way HTTP has popularized it, to accomodate for the online case ?
>
> A client would send
>
> <iq type='set' id='juliet1'>
>   <query xmlns='urn:xmpp:mam:0' queryid='f27' longpolling='true' timeout='300'>
>     <field var='start'>
>       <value>(last-checkpoint)</value>
>     </field>
>   </query>
> </iq>

> This is just an idea I throw in the mix, with no code or data to back it
> but I believe we can do something here. What do you think of it ?

This is basically what I had planned (as a follow-up XEP) when I
originally submitted MAM. However Carbons beat me to it by some way.

Although Kev is now also in favour of this general approach, at the
last summit the consensus was strongly that we should re-use Carbons
now that we have it, it's deployed everywhere, and is already 99% of
the solution. All we need is to echo messages to sender and include
the MAM message ID in that.

A new protocol isn't out of the question, but when it overlaps Carbons
so much, I think it would just cause disruption and confusion at this
point.

Regards,
Matthew