[Standards] Marking up messages with metadata and XEP-0071

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Thu Apr 9 07:27:26 UTC 2015

On 9 Apr 2015, at 05:10, Mel Adamaitis <melissamatara at gmail.com> wrote:

> Problem:
> In an XMPP IM client we are working on, it is necessary for mentions of other users (for alerting, highlighting) to be based on a normalised user identity, but displayed in a denormalized human-readable format. Additionally, for a particular denormalized identity, there may be any number of normalised identities. For example, user joe at example.com should be mentioned as Joe Bloggs. The relationship between the normalized and denormalized identities is known by the client authoring the message, and must be transmitted with the message for appropriate display and behaviour on the receiving end.
>
> Requirements:
> 	• Allow a denormalized username to show up as highlighted/special when displayed in the client-side, up to and including unique selection in the DOM (for JavaScript).
> 	• Allow more than one denormalized username per message.
> 	• Allow non-unique denormalized username displays.
> 	• Continue to allow more text either before, after, or between mentions so that mentions can fit in with normal conversation flow.
>
> Current Solution:
>
> Proposed Solution:
> Update XEP-0071 to XHTML5 to allow the use of data-* attributes within elements.
>
> Does anyone see a flaw with this approach, or have an alternative suggestion which meets the requirements and/or which is already in use for similar functionality?

I have two immediate thoughts (although maybe 8am isn’t the best time to try to think).

1) I’m not sure that adding data-* to XEP-0071 would aid interoperability, as the use of the data-* needs to be understood by both ends (e.g. in your case it isn’t enough for xep71 to just say ‘you can use data-*’, because a third-party client receiving your data-* markup wouldn’t understand what to do with it).
2) As you’re controlling the clients at both end, I can’t immediately see any problem with just shipping data-* attributes inside the generated XHTML, although -71 says not to. The importance of following the specs is to ensure you can interop fully; if you’re controlling the clients at both ends and need special logic to do so you can add non-standardised markup reasonably safely.

I’m not sure if others will agree or disagree with me here.

/K