[Standards] XEP-184: Message Delivery Receipts - Message Type of Ack Messages

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Sat Apr 11 17:39:30 UTC 2015

Dear authors for XEP-184,

It has become obvious that XEP-184 is underspecified when it comes to
the message type of ack messages:

- http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-February/029647.html
- http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2014-January/028479.html
- https://community.igniterealtime.org/thread/55160

As far as I can tell, the following variants would remedy the situation.
Add to XEP-184 5.4.:

* Variant 1

The message type of an ack message MUST match the type of the message
with the related receipt request, if it's of type 'groupchat'. It SHOULD
match the type otherwise. A receiving entity MUST NOT make any
assumptions about the message type of an ack message.

* Variant 2

The message type of an ack message SHOULD be 'normal'. A receiving
entity MUST NOT make any assumptions about the message type of an ack
message.

* Variant 3

A receiving entity MUST NOT make any assumptions about the message type
of an ack message.

* Variant 4

The message type of an ack message MUST be 'normal'.

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion towards any of the Variants
1-3. But I think Variant 4 should not be considered, as it imposes to
many restrictions. As short term solution, please implement Variant 3
now. Further additions could still be added later on.

Regards
 Florian