[Standards] XEP-184: Message Delivery Receipts - Message Type of Ack Messages

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Sat Apr 11 19:36:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

I think Variant 1 violates XEP-0045: When receiving a „request“ message from an occupant in a MUC room (type=groupchat), the receiver would send a receipt to the sender directly, not to the MUC room, by simply sending it to the „from“ attribute of the request, which is a full JID.

It’s basically a private message to the requesting occupant:
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#privatemessage

—> The message type SHOULD be "chat" and MUST NOT (!!!) be „groupchat“, but MAY be left unspecified (i.e., a normal message).

Implementors could easily violate this, if they simply reuse the message type of the request (if it’s groupchat) and send the receipt message as private message to the requester.

I like Variant 2 most, but maybe even ‚headline‘ fits more to receipts, because its definition is:
"The message provides […] information to which no reply is expected“

while a reply is expected to normal messages:
"The message is a standalone message that is sent outside the context of a one-to-one conversation or groupchat, and to which it is expected that the recipient will reply“

(And no reply is expected to receipt messages)

— Christian