[Standards] XEP-184: Message Delivery Receipts - Message Type of Ack Messages

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Mon Apr 13 20:02:16 UTC 2015

On 11.04.2015 19:39, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> * Variant 1
>
> The message type of an ack message MUST match the type of the message
> with the related receipt request, if it's of type 'groupchat'. It SHOULD
> match the type otherwise. A receiving entity MUST NOT make any
> assumptions about the message type of an ack message.

Georg and Christian provided some valid points. So Variant 1 becomes now

The message type of an ack message SHOULD NOT be 'groupchat'. It is
RECOMMENDED to use 'normal' for the ack message type, or alternatively
it MAY matches the type of the message requesting the delivery receipt.
A receiving entity MUST NOT make any assumptions about the message type
of an ack message.

What matters to me most is the last sentence. And Georg had some good
arguments for 'normal'.

- Florian