[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0327 (Rayo)

Ben Klang bklang at mojolingo.com
Fri Apr 17 18:34:18 UTC 2015

> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on XEP-0327 (Rayo).
>
> Abstract: This specification defines an XMPP protocol extension for the third-party control of telephone calls and other similar media sessions. The protocol includes support for session management/signaling, as well as advanced media resources such as speech recognizers, speech synthesizers and audio/video recorders. The protocol serves a different purpose from that of first-party protocols such as Jingle or SIP, and is compatible with those protocols.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on 2015-04-17.

> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack or to clarify an existing protocol?
Yes. As explained by others previously, this allows third parties to exert control over calls running elsewhere, as opposed to something like Jingle, which is designed to directly set up calls between endpoints. First party call control is not an appropriate replacement for the functionality defined in this specification, which includes things like starting and stopping media operations like recording and file playback, as well as bridging audio streams between multiple parties.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction and requirements?
Yes.
> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not, why not?
We have implemented a client in Ruby, and have used this client for several applications that are now in production with various customers.  We have done so with two different server implementations, one in FreeSWITCH and one in a commercial product.
None that are not addressed by the specification.
Yes. Additional clarification was added when especially the FreeSWITCH server implementation was done, as questions raised by that implementation were addressed and resolved.

> Your feedback is appreciated!
Thank you to the XSF members for their feedback to date!
--
Ben Klang
Principal/Technology Strategist, Mojo Lingo

Mojo Lingo -- Voice applications that work like magic
http://mojolingo.com <http://mojolingo.com/>
Twitter: @MojoLingo