[Standards] off-server archives with MAM

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Sat Apr 18 20:11:52 UTC 2015

On 18/04/2015 11:03, Dave Cridland wrote:
> Between XEP-0355 and carbons, I think you're covered already, at first
> thought.

Indeed the XEP-0355 has a mechanism to delegate MAM (or something else)
to any entity under the control of the user. The issue here is that the
data still go through the server.

In France they have just voted a new law to allow "black box" to spy at
the ISP/hosting level, so even if the archives are under user control,
that doesn't prevent any data logging. I guess the old e2e encryption
question need a solution really quickly.

XEP-0355/Carbon + some e2e encryption XEP would allow to keep MAM and
eveything under user control, at the price of some ping-pong with the data.