[Standards] Carbons as a MAM Subscription (Was: Encrypted Storage)

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Apr 20 11:43:05 UTC 2015

* Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> [2015-04-18 11:42]:
> I really dislike (ab)using carbons as a MAM pseudo-subscription.

Another case in point: Carbons are not reflected to the sender, so if
you send a message, you have no way (yet) to know its archive ID.

Basically, we need to ensure two things here:

a) determine if a message was successfully received by our server
(currently we are using XEP-0198 ACKs here, probably forcing an <r>
after each message just to be sure)

b) determine the message's archive ID for matching it with the next MAM
query.

Both problems would be solved by forcing the server to respond with a
stub message linking the sent message's ID with its server-generated MAM
ID (or any other unique ID kept for it), provided the client has an
active MAM subscription. This might get more complicated if we separate
MAM storage from our server.

Georg