[Standards] XMPP OAuth2 login at Google

Thijs Alkemade thijs at xnyhps.nl
Mon Apr 20 14:01:29 UTC 2015

> On 20 apr. 2015, at 10:15, Thijs Alkemade <thijs at xnyhps.nl> wrote:
>
> [Reviving a very old thread]
>
> It looks like today is going to be the day Google shuts down ClientLogin [1],
> and with that, SASL PLAIN [2]. This might be the final nail in the coffin of
> XMPP support for Google Talk, as I fear few clients have implemented X-OAUTH2.
>
> We have an update in beta for Adium, but working on that while knowing Google
> could shut down the XMPP interface any day was not very motivating.
>
> Thijs
>
> [1] = https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/AuthForInstalledApps
> [2] = http://googledevelopers.blogspot.com/2012/09/adding-oauth-20-support-for-imapsmtp.html

False alarm, apparently, in last February they made a new post [1] stating:

"We’ve taken steps to provide alternatives to password authentication in other
protocols as well. CalDAV API V2 only supports OAuth 2.0, and we’ve added
OAuth 2.0 support to IMAP, SMTP, and XMPP. While a deprecation timeline for
password authentication in these protocols hasn’t been announced yet,
developers are strongly encouraged to move to OAuth 2.0.”

Thijs

[1] = http://googledevelopers.blogspot.com/2015/02/reminder-clientlogin-shutdown-scheduled.html