[Standards] Nonzas: What are they and do we need them?

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Apr 20 16:39:51 UTC 2015

* Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> [2015-04-20 18:33]:
> > In the XEP-0352 case, "Nonzas" could get lost without resending them
> > upon stream resumption, leaving the client under the impression that
> > it's active, although the server thinks it's inactive.
> This can't happen, because new streams are always active by default. I
> really thought this was clear in the XEP, but actually it's a little
> bit ambiguous.

This looks to me like a restriction caused by using nonzas in the first
place (and the inability to track them in 0198), not like something
which makes sense from a protocol desgin view point.

As a client developer, I would expect the stream to be in the same state
it was before resumption, as stream resumption is caused by network
interruptions and has nothing to do with user/client activity.

Georg