[Standards] Nonzas: What are they and do we need them?

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Apr 22 07:41:53 UTC 2015

The discussion drifted a bit into whether non-stanza top-level stream
elements should be used for a particular use case/XEP
or not. But what I really wanted to discuss is whether they could be
used after resource binding in general, or if this should be disallowed.
That's why I asked the council members to express their opinion on this
in their next meeting.

As side note: I still think it is advantageous to have a unambiguous
term defined for non-stanza top-level stream elements. It would clearly
distinguish stanzas from non-stanzas in specifications and may help to
avoid the case where specification authors erroneously refer to
non-stanzas as stanzas. See for example the EXI XEP (XEP-322) where this
is done (nearly?) everywhere. Not to mention that this may cause
confusion when we take XEP-198: Stream Management into consideration.

- Florian