[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: HTTP File Upload

Mickaël Rémond mremond at process-one.net
Sat Aug 1 10:22:10 UTC 2015

Hello Sam,

On 31 Jul 2015, at 22:17, Sam Whited wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 1:25 AM, Mickaël Rémond
> <mremond at process-one.net> wrote:
> I don't see any mention of headers in your document, except for
> Content-MD5, (though it does cover the case where you can request a
> file's GET url from the server).

ok, I think I missed you point there, then. Do you mean the information
passed in the slot request on XMPP should pass generic extra values that
can be use in header by XMPP server component, like Content-MD5 header ?

For example, slot request could be:

<iq type='set' id='upload1' to='domain.com'>
   <query xmlns='p1:http-file-transfer'>
    <header name='Content-MD5' value='qN48INKsmQyPMZkHs0DWog==' />
   </query>
</iq>

Is that what you mean ?

> I'd like that, but I'm not sure if Daniel would :) I know he really
> wants to keep it simple.

Yes, I understand that. That's why I am asking to not give the
impression I am too pushy in another direction other that the original
need :)
Maybe I will just update my doc and try to adapt our implementation to
another backend (Dropbox ?) and check if it adapts well.

> I see generic headers as something that are
> almost a requirement to make this useable though. Otherwise it only
> works for the most simple cases (eg. small XMPP servers that want to
> run their own simple storage).

I agree, we had the same needs to support HTTP storage backends. As long
as you want to support large user base, the file storage is almost all
the time a separate service.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.process-one.net