[Standards] XEP-0033 Extended Stanza addressing: Directed presence use case

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Tue Aug 4 16:39:06 UTC 2015

On 03.08.2015 22:21, Mickaël Rémond wrote:
> While working on XEP-0033 testing, we found an interesting edge case
> that would probably need to require a clarification in the extension.
>
> Suppose that you want to use the multicast service to send multiple
> directed presence stanzas to multiple users as BBC. This becomes
> directed presence through the mediation of the multicast service.
>
> So, when you update your presence, especially when broadcasting
> unavailable presence, your client XMPP server is supposed to pass it to
> the multicast service.
>
> What happens next is unspecified, but I think it should be as follow:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is that underspecified? The server
of the user sending the presences with xep33 should simply behave like
the user had send multiple single presence stanzas.

>   * When you send an extended addressing presence stanza through a
>     multicast service, the multicast service MUST keep track of the
>     entities that have received the the individual directed presence packet.

I don't think it's the responsibility of the xep33 (extended stanza
addressing, multicast) service to keep track of the directed presences.
That should be taken care of whatever component of the server
implementation does take care of non-xep33 directed presences.

>   * When the multicast service receive an unavailable presence stanza
>     without extended addresses, it MUST broadcast the updated presence
>     to all the JID that have received a directed presence previously (if
>     the multicast service has not yet sent unavailable presence to that
>     entity, through a previous extended stanza presence).pres

Like above: I would not consider the multicast service responsible. You
need already a server mechanism which keeps track of presence sessions
caused by directed presences. Why not make that mechanism xep33 aware,
instead of offloading the work to the xep33 service?

But anyway, I never considered xep33 with regard to presences. That
opens interesting possibilities. Thanks for pointing out that xep33 can
be used to join multiple MUCs with a single presence stanza. :)

Best
- Florian