[Standards] XMPP Myths

Dominik Renzel renzel at dbis.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Aug 10 17:37:11 UTC 2015

Nice compilation, Dave.

As one of the guys from xmppresearch.org, I might add a bit from the
academic side. There is quite a body of literature available on XMPP
research (and - yes, we keep collecting!). We're currently working on a
survey paper on a collection of XMPP research from 2003 till today. I
can't reveal too much, but a little bit of overview allows me to wield
the academagic battle-axe at least for two myths.

Myth Two:

Although I don't know if the scientific use of XMPP extensions mirrors
practical deployment, I would assume that there are certain
similarities. In response to a request during this year's summit in
Diegem, Belgium, my dear colleague Daniel Schuster from TU Dresden
created a tag cloud of the XEPs in scientific use, extracted from 250
different papers:
http://www.xmppresearch.org/posts/xeps-used-in-xmpp-research/

Myth Three:

There is quite some scientific evidence on the use of XMPP in
bandwidth-critical, mobile settings, especially in the last five years.
You find literature on mobile sensor networks, mobile apps, IoT, etc.,
some of them applied in disaster scenarios with no or very impaired
public communication infrastructure. Bandwidth-efficiency is hardly ever
mentioned as a problem.

Best,
Dominik