[Standards] XMPP Myths

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Aug 10 20:11:26 UTC 2015

On 10 August 2015 at 18:37, Dominik Renzel <renzel at dbis.rwth-aachen.de>
wrote:

> Nice compilation, Dave.
>
> As one of the guys from xmppresearch.org, I might add a bit from the
> academic side. There is quite a body of literature available on XMPP
> research (and - yes, we keep collecting!). We're currently working on a
> survey paper on a collection of XMPP research from 2003 till today. I can't
> reveal too much, but a little bit of overview allows me to wield the
> academagic battle-axe at least for two myths.
>
> Myth Two:
>
> Although I don't know if the scientific use of XMPP extensions mirrors
> practical deployment, I would assume that there are certain similarities.
> dear colleague Daniel Schuster from TU Dresden created a tag cloud of the
> XEPs in scientific use, extracted from 250 different papers:
> http://www.xmppresearch.org/posts/xeps-used-in-xmpp-research/

That's awesome; I'll link to that in the Myth Two section.

> Myth Three:
>
> There is quite some scientific evidence on the use of XMPP in
> bandwidth-critical, mobile settings, especially in the last five years.
> You find literature on mobile sensor networks, mobile apps, IoT, etc.,
> some of them applied in disaster scenarios with no or very impaired public
> communication infrastructure. Bandwidth-efficiency is hardly ever mentioned
> as a problem.

Yes, I'll poke about and see how much of the use-cases I'm aware of can be
talked about openly, since there's sectors using XMPP over low-bandwidth
for mission-critical messaging that are really eye-opening - and I didn't
even know about the disaster cases - links would be great.