[Standards] XMPP Myths

Dominik Renzel renzel at dbis.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Aug 11 07:06:52 UTC 2015

Am 10.08.2015 um 22:11 schrieb Dave Cridland:
> On 10 August 2015 at 18:37, Dominik Renzel <renzel at dbis.rwth-aachen.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Nice compilation, Dave.
>>
>> As one of the guys from xmppresearch.org, I might add a bit from the
>> academic side. There is quite a body of literature available on XMPP
>> research (and - yes, we keep collecting!). We're currently working on a
>> survey paper on a collection of XMPP research from 2003 till today. I can't
>> reveal too much, but a little bit of overview allows me to wield the
>> academagic battle-axe at least for two myths.
>>
>> Myth Two:
>>
>> Although I don't know if the scientific use of XMPP extensions mirrors
>> practical deployment, I would assume that there are certain similarities.
>> dear colleague Daniel Schuster from TU Dresden created a tag cloud of the
>> XEPs in scientific use, extracted from 250 different papers:
>> http://www.xmppresearch.org/posts/xeps-used-in-xmpp-research/
>>

> That's awesome; I'll link to that in the Myth Two section.
>

>> Myth Three:
>>
>> There is quite some scientific evidence on the use of XMPP in
>> bandwidth-critical, mobile settings, especially in the last five years.
>> You find literature on mobile sensor networks, mobile apps, IoT, etc.,
>> some of them applied in disaster scenarios with no or very impaired public
>> communication infrastructure. Bandwidth-efficiency is hardly ever mentioned
>> as a problem.
>>

> Yes, I'll poke about and see how much of the use-cases I'm aware of can be
> talked about openly, since there's sectors using XMPP over low-bandwidth
> for mission-critical messaging that are really eye-opening - and I didn't
> even know about the disaster cases - links would be great.

About the disaster cases:

Klauck, Ronny; Gäbler, Jan; Kirsche, Michael; Schoepke, Sebastian
(2011): Mobile XMPP and Cloud Service Collaboration: An Alliance for
Flexible Disaster Management. In: 7th International Conference on
Collaborative Computing: Networking, Applications and Worksharing,
CollaborateCom 2011, Orlando, FL, USA, 15-18 October, 2011, pp. 201–210,
IEEE, 2011.

Link: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=6144805

Klauck, Ronny; Kirsche, Michael (2012): XMPP to the Rescue: Enhancing
Post Disaster Management and Joint Task Force Work. In: Pervasive
Computing and Communications Workshops (PERCOM Workshops), 2012 IEEE
International Conference on, pp. 752–757, IEEE, 2012.

Link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/PerComW.2012.6197613

Klauck, Ronny; Kirsche, Michael (2013): Combining Mobile XMPP Entities
and Cloud Services for Collaborative Post-Disaster Management in Hybrid
Network Environments. In: Mobile Networks and Applications - The Journal
of SPECIAL ISSUES on Mobility of Systems, Users, Data and Computing, 18
(2), pp. 253 – 270, 2013.

Link: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11036-012-0391-1

About Mobile & IoT applications of XMPP in research:

Go to http://www.xmppresearch.org/bibliography/ and check the tag cloud
on top of the page. "Mobile" is THE top tag (with 56 papers from
2004-now). For IoT we collected 30 papers from 2009-now. By clicking on
the tags, you get the full list. By following links you at least get the
abstracts. For reading the full paper, you'll most likely slam against
the paywall.

Best,
Dominik