[Standards] Move Carbons to Last Call ("Proposed")

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Tue Aug 11 19:58:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
> The Carbons XEP is not yet ready to advance in my opinion: The open
> issues of xep280 haven't been addressed since the last try to advance
> carbons in April 2015:
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-April/029709.html

That discussion effectively stalled, this is to start it back up.

I don't think any of these problems need "fixing", and the ending of
that discussion was effectively that MAM would be a replacement
eventually. This makes me think that we should go ahead and advance
carbons for now (I don't think it needs to do anythihng extra,
personally), and then we can superceded it if/when MAM actually
supports the same use case.

My argument is effectively that carbons works right now, and it works
well. If we want it to become more widely deployed, we should move it
forward. If we think there are changes that need to be made or that it
doesn't work, we should make those changes, but I don't think this is
the case, and I fail to be convinced by any of the arguments in the
old discussion.

—Sam

--
Sam Whited