[Standards] Move Carbons to Last Call ("Proposed")

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Wed Aug 12 08:01:11 UTC 2015

* Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com> [2015-08-12 08:14]:
> Given that a MAM based approach may be the  preferred medium term
> approach, it seems to me that we should focus efforts to work out what
> the medium term approach is going to be.

+1

> Also, if there is a list of issues that some people view need fixing
> with carbons, I think it would be good to have that list explicitly

I've tried to compile a more general list of issues some time ago, to
be found here:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-April/029722.html

The carbon relevant things from that list and from the last 0280 advance
discussion are:

* Carbons for non-"chat" messages. Jingle signalling of incoming calls
  to all interested clients was mentioned IIRC.

* No filtering mechanism. Carbons are only for type="chat", the client
  can't add / remove types according to its needs.

* "False-positive" Carbons of MUC private messages (which are of
  type="chat"; see
  http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-May/029819.html and
  following messages for a discussion and possible solutions). I think
  the solutions need to be codified in the XEP.

* Carbon notifications (not strictly an XEP issue, rather one of proper
  UX) - when should a client ring a bell? Recommendations for this case
  might or might not be appropriate in the XEP.

Georg