[Standards] Move Carbons to Last Call ("Proposed")

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Aug 12 10:22:52 UTC 2015

On 12 Aug 2015, at 11:20, Holger Weiß <holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> * Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> [2015-08-12 10:54]:
>> For MUC, I'll summarize our conversation online as servers already have to
>> track directed presence to chatrooms; it should be relatively low-cost to
>> check responses and mark those as chatrooms as needed, and then perform a
>> lookup for Carbons purposes.
>
> That way you can make sure a client won't receive carbons of PMs of MUCs
> he's not joined to.  A remaining problem is that multiple clients might
> be joined using the same nick name, in which case you don't know whether
> the MUC service delivers PMs to all or just one of them.¹

While falling into the good/perfect/now/later trap, we do at least have a story here that would solve this. MUC2 (which is being specced) should solve the shared-nickname issues of MUC, and Dave’s pubsub-to-account-not-to-client spec that he’s working on then provides a neat way around the ‘clients that aren’t joined’ issue.

/K