[Standards] Move Carbons to Last Call ("Proposed")

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Wed Aug 12 14:44:38 UTC 2015

On August 12, 2015 3:07:44 PM GMT+02:00, Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:
>The thread is moving somewhat away from Carbons Last Calls, but this is
>all related so I won’t feel too guilty. I have two opinions here:
>[..]
>2) Carbons will need some changes in the (hopefully near) future once
>the pubsub/account stuff is specced/we have deployment experience. I
>believe this means that going to Draft now wouldn’t be appropriate, as
>knowing there will be backwards-incompatible changes is at odds with
>the Draft requirement of avoiding such things where possible.

 * Does this mean you'd vote -1 if Carbons remains mostly as-is for now?

  * How do you feel such backwards incompatible changes would work out in practice? I do feel implementors take a risk in putting experimental specs in production, but also see the high-profile nature of this work and the bigger context with other IM systems.

 * Could your envisioned changes be add-on instead? I.e. is there a chance of future proofing this (now)?

--
ralphm