[Standards] MUC Nick-Sharing and XEP-0280

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Wed Aug 12 17:59:49 UTC 2015

The 0045+0280 interaction has made me think about the other implications
of nick sharing, so I've written down everything that came to my mind:

http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/MUC_Nick_Sharing

Please feel free to extend, modify, and improve the little pieces of
information.

I still think that 0280 should not be advanced until we figure out the
0045-interop. It also seems that some implementations ignore the
type="chat" requirement and also forward "normal" messages.

Relaxing the 0280 specification, as Kev promised to write up tomorrow,
is one important building block for fixing the 0045 interop.  IMO, the
second building block will be to make more specific recommendations to
implementors of 0280+0045.

The proposals listed in the wiki [1] all have their drawbacks, but so
far nothing better has emerged from the discussion.

[1] http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/MUC_Nick_Sharing#Private_Messages

Georg