[Standards] Jingle refresh

Peter Saint-Andre - &yet peter at andyet.net
Wed Aug 19 01:55:34 UTC 2015

Thanks mostly to feedback from Philipp Hancke (which he's detailed at
<http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/User:Fippo> for posterity), I'm in the midst
of updating the core Jingle specs: XEPs 166, 167, 176, and 177. Although
much has changed in the audio/video world since the Jingle XEPs were
advanced to Draft in 2009, especially the emergence of WebRTC, Jingle is
still relevant and its use is not uncommon for media signaling in WebRTC
applications (e.g., using the jingle.js library). Therefore it seems
appropriate to give these specs a bit of a refresh, correct errors,
harmonize them with documentation for trickle ICE
(draft-ietf-mmusic-trickle-ice) and newer IETF standards such as
ICE-TCP, and so on.

My goal is to finish the first round of edits by the end of August, then
ask for wider feedback and review. If you know of issues beyond those
catalogued at the URL noted above, please feel free to post to the
standards at xmpp.org or jingle at xmpp.org discussion lists or to file issues
in the XSF's GitHub repo at <https://github.com/xsf/xeps/>. The truly
adventurous can watch the changes I'm making in my fork at
<https://github.com/stpeter/xeps/tree/jingle-fixes>.

Thanks!

https://andyet.com/