[Standards] Jingle refresh

Peter Saint-Andre - &yet peter at andyet.net
Wed Aug 19 15:12:04 UTC 2015

On 8/19/15 2:18 AM, Goffi wrote:
> On 19/08/2015 03:55, Peter Saint-Andre - &yet wrote:
>> Thanks mostly to feedback from Philipp Hancke (which he's detailed at
>> <http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/User:Fippo> for posterity), I'm in the midst
>> of updating the core Jingle specs: XEPs 166, 167, 176, and 177. Although
>> much has changed in the audio/video world since the Jingle XEPs were
>> advanced to Draft in 2009, especially the emergence of WebRTC, Jingle is
>> still relevant and its use is not uncommon for media signaling in WebRTC
>> applications (e.g., using the jingle.js library). Therefore it seems
>> appropriate to give these specs a bit of a refresh, correct errors,
>> harmonize them with documentation for trickle ICE
>> (draft-ietf-mmusic-trickle-ice) and newer IETF standards such as
>> ICE-TCP, and so on.
>>
>> My goal is to finish the first round of edits by the end of August, then
>> ask for wider feedback and review. If you know of issues beyond those
>> catalogued at the URL noted above, please feel free to post to the
>> standards at xmpp.org or jingle at xmpp.org discussion lists or to file issues
>> in the XSF's GitHub repo at <https://github.com/xsf/xeps/>. The truly
>> adventurous can watch the changes I'm making in my fork at
>> <https://github.com/stpeter/xeps/tree/jingle-fixes>.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Hi Peter,
>
> As I said a couple of days ago on the room, I would be really happy to
> see an URI scheme for jingle, specially for file transfer, I think it's
> really lacking.

Lance Stout has been working on XEP-0234 so maybe we can convince him to
add this. ;-)

> Actually, even for video call it would be useful: being apple to click
> on a link on a webpage to make the XMPP client request the session would
> be great.

Both of those (file transfer and call) should be fairly easy to add - I
will look into it during the editing process. It seems to me that these
are connected to particular Jingle application types (XEP-0234 for file
transfer, XEP-0167 for audio/video calls), so I might write some general
guidelines for Jingle URIs into XEP-0166 as well.

https://andyet.com/