[Standards] Extending the XHTML-IM profile

Emmanuel Gil Peyrot linkmauve at linkmauve.fr
Tue Aug 25 20:03:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

There has been many clients lately, like Conversations, Gajim or Movim,
striving for a richer experience for IM, with the embedding of HTTP[0]
images right into the discussion.

Their current way is pretty terrible, they just put the URL in the body
of the message, and the receiving client will download and display it
if there is no other text than the URL.

XHTML-IM[1] is perfect for that usecase, but I was thinking about
extending it with what people expect to be able to exchange nowadays,
namely images, audio clips and videos.

The HTML5 specification[2] defines a few elements that didn’t exist by
the time XHTML-IM got specified, namely <audio/>, <video/> and
<picture/> , which allow one to embed most usual multimedia files, and
<source/> for content-type and resolution negociation, all of those
make a lot of sense together in clients allowing sharing of multimedia
files.

XHTML-IM being a draft standard, I think it would make sense to add
those elements directly to its suggested profile instead of writing a
newer XEP, with a warning that older clients don’t support them.

What do you think about this proposal?

[0] http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-June/029969.html
[1] http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0071.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/semantics.html