[Standards] "I've read up to here" stanza?

Simon Tennant simon at buddycloud.com
Thu Aug 27 08:26:46 UTC 2015

In yesterday's Buddycloud dev call we were talking about syncing
read-states in a multi-client scenario.

Problem:

   - Sync the "I've read up to here" state between multiple devices.
   Imagine the scenario where you have been chatting on your phone, come home
   and pick up your Tablet: it should scrolling to the correct part of a chat.
   - See where participantX has read up to in a chat, buddycloud-channel or
   ephemeral channel.

Hangouts and WhatsApp have a similar mechanism where the avatar pictures
move down the chat window to show where your participant has read up to. It
would be nice to include this.

dwd pointed out that this might not scale well to rooms with very large
participants counts. I still believe there's value in 1 to 1 chats and
showing participants' state for smaller channels.

It would be nice to have a generic IQ that can be sent back to either the
XMPP server or pub-sub component to indicate the "I've read up to here"
state:

   - Clients would optimise how often they send this state.
   - The server could stop sending "participantX has read up to
   messageID/timestamp" when a group is greater than a certain number of
   participants.

Georg started mentioning this
https://www.mail-archive.com/standards@xmpp.org/msg14067.html (see: MARK AS
READ)

Is anyone else thinking about this or have any stanzas to share?

S.
--
Simon Tennant | CEO Buddycloud <http://buddycloud.com> | +49 17 8545 0880

Book a Buddycloud call <https://calendly.com/simon-tennant/buddycloud-call>