[Standards] XMPP Myths

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Aug 27 21:05:57 UTC 2015

On 27 August 2015 at 21:42, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thu, 27 Aug 2015 17:13:14 +0100
> Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>
> > The rest of these comments, though, I largely agree with - there's
> > been talk of putting together both a new profile XEP, listing the
> > things any "modern messaging app" should support, and also putting
> > together a bunch of sensible tutorials. I think you're underlining
> > how important those are.
>
> I even think such list is more important than this FAQ. Also clients
> compatibility list would be great. SIP folks are doing something like
> that regularly (https://www.sipit.net/SIPitSummaries). XSF did that in
> the past btw.

The profile XEP is really important, I agree.

A compatibility list might be interesting, but I think the only real
compatibility issues we have are where a protocol has switched namespace
due to incompatible versions, and some clients and/or servers end up
sticking with the older versions. I don't think that situation helps us at
all.

> > but as I say, my Solitaire app uses more battery than
> > my IM app on my phone even without such a spec. And I don't even play
> > solitaire that much.
>
> I think we should not compare the worst with XMPP. For example,
> Whatsapp doesn't drain battery.

Right; I wasn't intending to compare it with the worst thing I could find.
Solitaire doesn't use much battery - Conversations still uses less.

Dave