[Standards] namespace versioning for XEP-0176

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Dec 11 03:56:18 UTC 2015

Folks, I am working on revisions [1] to XEP-0176 to bring it up to date
with both RFC 6544 (ice-tcp) and draft-ietf-ice-trickle. Therefore, the
next version of this specification will add support for several new
candidate types ("tcp-active", "tcp-passive", and "tcp-so"). To prevent
confusion, I am thinking it would be best to change the XML namespace as
follows...

old: "urn:xmpp:jingle:transports:ice-udp:1"

new: "urn:xmpp:jingle:transports:ice:2"

That is, because ICE can now be used to negotiate a TCP connection and
not just a UDP association, I propose that we generalize XEP-0176 and
thus change the transport name from "ice-udp" to "ice", while at the
same time bumping the version from "1" to "2".

Does anyone have concerns with this approach?

Thanks!

Peter

[1] https://github.com/stpeter/xeps/tree/jingle-fixes