[Standards] namespace versioning for XEP-0176

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Dec 11 09:56:56 UTC 2015

On 11 December 2015 at 03:56, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> Folks, I am working on revisions [1] to XEP-0176 to bring it up to date
> with both RFC 6544 (ice-tcp) and draft-ietf-ice-trickle. Therefore, the
> next version of this specification will add support for several new
> candidate types ("tcp-active", "tcp-passive", and "tcp-so"). To prevent
> confusion, I am thinking it would be best to change the XML namespace as
> follows...
>
> old: "urn:xmpp:jingle:transports:ice-udp:1"
>
> new: "urn:xmpp:jingle:transports:ice:2"
>
> That is, because ICE can now be used to negotiate a TCP connection and not
> just a UDP association, I propose that we generalize XEP-0176 and thus
> change the transport name from "ice-udp" to "ice", while at the same time
> bumping the version from "1" to "2".
>
> Does anyone have concerns with this approach?

I admit I'm partly speaking as devil's advocate here - but I'm conscious
that there is relatively wide deployment of XEP-0176, and I'm wondering if
it might be better to create a new specification and deprecate this one in
favour of it. Accessing old versions of specifications is hard, and if the
changes are substantial, both specification versions will probably co-exist
for some time to come.