[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Multi-User Chat Light

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Dec 14 16:16:08 UTC 2015

On 14 December 2015 at 16:04, Piotr Nosek <piotr.nosek at erlang-solutions.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> a) It retains some level of compatibility, please see Implementation
> Notes. It is possible to use 0045 protocol for most of the functionality in
> transition period. "Substantial chunk of work" is not very precise. In our
> case the initial implementation that did not support 0045 compatibility
> took about 2-3 weeks. Please note it included refining the protocol in the
> meantime, so it was not pure implementation of existing, ready standard.

No, you cannot have an arbitrary XEP-0045 service also presented over this
protocol; it has to be a cut-down, especially written service. The result
is that existing '45 features are lost entirely.

An example is multiple owners, but there are plenty of others.

> b) It is a compilation of requirements of mobile chat providers. I can't
> see why being useful only for mobile clients is a reason to treat is as
> useless. It is a common belief amongst many developers that XMPP is not
> very attractive for mobile environments, why can't we make several
> extensions that are specifically mobile-friendly?
> Yes, there is no possibility of sending IQs but the thing is - what
> IQ-based functionality we would need in groupchats? File transfer? It's a
> common practice nowadays to upload files to external storage like Amazon S3
> and then just send a message with a link. (extra benefit: it can get
> archived by MAM).

Mobile-friendly is fine, mobile-only is not.

Many of the facilities you're dropping from '45 are in use in various
places - what I'd hate to see is a balkanization of XMPP between mobile
users and non-mobile users.

The point of XMPP is extensibility - by blocking off extensibility because
you don't think the existing cases are important enough, you're also
blocking off use-cases none of us have thought of.