[Standards] MAM and Pubsub

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Tue Feb 3 11:58:23 UTC 2015

> Having a node attribute is defined in 313 as specifying you want to
> search a pubsub archive instead of another type of archive.  I don't see
> the confusion.

It's explained in XEP-0313, but I think it's a bad idea to use common
terminology to associate MAM with an other XEP, without namespace.

If tomorrow a XEP uses this same terminology of "node", it will starts
to be confusing.

> No, you're not.  Consider you have a node to which someone has published
> with the same item id repeatably, e.g. id='myitem'.  MAM will allow you
> to recover previous versions of that particular item, whereas 60 does not.

OK, but that doesn't prevent of showing pubsub namespace somewhere. Or
at least something less generic than "node"

> Letting this one settle in for a bit.  Delegation is a tough problem to
> do properly without breaking things, especially if the namespace
> delegated has relations to other specs.

We can work around this in namespace delegation by adding an attribute
check in addition to namespace check, that would be better than sending
back the traffic to the server, even if it complicate the XEP. I would
still be more happy with an other attribute name to link MAM and PubSub.

Goffi