[Standards] MAM and Pubsub

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Tue Feb 3 15:27:14 UTC 2015

On 03/02/2015 15:46, Dave Cridland wrote:

>  > We can work around this in namespace delegation by adding an
> attribute check in addition to namespace check, that would be better
> than sending back the traffic to the server, even if it complicate the
> XEP. I would still be more happy with an other attribute name to link
> MAM and PubSub.
>  >

> I think this would affect disco, for example, as well?

Yes you're right. Delegation manage disco nesting, but if we add an
attribute filter, that means that part of MAM can be managed by the
server, and part of it by the managing entity. For MAM it's not really a
big deal (there is only one feature: 'urn:xmpp:mam:0', so we'll add this
one anyway), but if we start to filter on attributes for multi-features
XEP, it will be quickly messy.

I don't know if a generic attribute filtering would be really useful
anyway, it's maybe better to restrict this to MAM if we go this way.

An other point is that if a server announce "urn:xmpp:mam:0", that means
that it manages MAM for <message/> *AND* PEP, right ? There is no way to
advertise only <message/> support or only PEP support.

I really think there is something wrong here.