[Standards] Pubsub node arbitrary metadata

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Wed Feb 18 08:51:15 UTC 2015

Hello guys,

XEP-0060 defines a way to read metadata of a pubsub node:
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#entity-metadata

Some of the data that is being returned this way can't be set directly
by node's owner and other data can be set during the node configuration
process (like title).

But sometimes we need to be able to set some content-specific metadata,
and it's better if we could set it in a structured way, not just plain
values.

For example, for the atom feeds it might be great to also be able to set
head of the feed in the same manner as we did it for plain Atom feeds.
This simplifies migration process and also gives an ability to use the
same XML-schemas.

Back to 2012 we had such a discussion with St. Peter in this list and we
thought about three possible ways on how to solve this problem:

1. At first, we could just add necessary fields (like atom:logo and so
on) to the node configuration form. Unfortunately, it's not a flexible
enough solution as we can't guarantee all our nodes will hold Atom feeds
and even for Atom sometimes we need more structured data than just strings.
2. Singleton items with some magic IDs like we had in PEP payloads
extensions. We also decided it's not good as magic values are not always
good and also such item can be superseded by other items when the limit
is reached.
3. Add a special typed field to the configuration form which can hold
arbitrary XML. We invented a XEP for this:
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0315.html but after that nothing happened
to integrate it to XEP-0060.

So I wanted to recall this question because it's actually very important
for XEP-0277 and for flexibility of Pubsub in overall, I believe.

Probably, someone have other ideas or even can say if one of those
introduced above is good or bad and with which one we can proceed and,
the most important, how?

Should we just add this to XEP-0060? It's also a question how can we
refer to a Deferred XEP from a Draft one?

So, some wise advices are appreciated here. I know, other guys who are
developing blogging platforms are also very interested in the topic, so
don't hesitate to reply with any thoughts if any.

Thanks in advance.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,