[Standards] [Council] component-s2s

Kurt Zeilenga kurt.zeilenga at isode.com
Fri Feb 27 15:35:06 UTC 2015

> On Feb 27, 2015, at 7:09 AM, Kurt Zeilenga <kurt.zeilenga at isode.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe we’re got the wrong model here…
>
> Consider the model where an XMPP server C wants to service XMPP requests for domain D which another service hosts.  That is, this hosting service is what the DNS records of H point to, hence I’ll call this H.
>
> C connects to “H” (the host) as “C” using S2S and then can ask “I’d like to takeover servicing of ‘H’’.  Upon acceptance, any stanza addressed to “H” which “H” receives is forwarded (using XEP 297 extension) to C for servicing.  C responds using the 297 as well.

My explanation is a confused by D v. H.  Better explanation (without D):

	C wants to service H which, per DNS, is hosted at another server.
	C connects to that server, authenticates, and requests to take over the hosting.
	once accepted, C and H use 297 forwarding to forward the traffic C now handles/produces for H.

and for reverse connections:
	H wants C to takeover service for the domain H.
	H connects to C, authenticates, requests take over of the servicing of H.